The business case for driving results through effective leadership is compelling: the primal leadership model does, in fact, demonstrate how leadership styles affect behavior, which in turn affect results.
The six leadership styles, as articulated by Daniel Goleman, reflect the varying nature of leadership, based on the environment and the business climate. Although there is no “wrong” style, several are far more effective over time than others.
The styles are as encapsulated as follows:
- Commanding: “Do as I say.”
- Pacesetting: “I set high standards.”
- Affiliative: “People come first.”
- Democratic: “We all have an equal voice.”
- Coaching: “Personal development is key.”
- Visionary: “Come with me.”
Knowing your team, the business climate, and the current situation takes emotional intelligence. To resonate in any circumstance requires a fluency of leadership style.